Crochet Butterybeer Puff
In a KNUTshell
- Butterbeer Puffs are approx 8x8x9cm
- Their body is crocheted in Sirdar 'Alpine' yarn. The heads, ears and paws are crocheted in White DK yarn.
- Their bronze eyes are hand-painted and attached with safety backs and the nose in cAramark brown embroidery thread.
- They have been lightly brushed to make them extra soft and fluffy.
- Each Butterheer Puffs comes with a custom cupcake shaped book badge, as seen in photos.
- They are stuffed with eco-friendly cotton fibre fill.
Say hello to butterbeer puff! She is the latest in an ever-growing Poffle of character puffs, which all started with Pumpkin puff back in 2018 and now includes Mademoiselles Pudding, Pygbee and PuffCorn! Just as butterbeer could always work as a pick-me-up in the wizarding world, I hope this little fluffball can do the same.
The Design Story
When I came to designing my Pygmy puff, I very much drew on my Christmas pudding puff. Whereas my Pygmy puff bodies are usually crocheted from back to front, with the face covering the point where I break off, Pudding and Butterbear are worked from bottom to top! When I begin to close the circle, I finish two rounds early and leave this part open. This means that, when I come to attach the fluffy white head (the icing for lil’ Pud and the froth for ‘wee Buttie’, as i nickname her!), isn’t sitting on top of the already very fluffy body - it therefore looks more seamless.
I crochet the white head separately and use scallop edge on the final row to give it a more natural finish. I then use a slip stitch to secure the underside of the white piece to the final row of the main body. This is a quite time consuming bit, as I want to ensure that the circle sits nice and evenly all the way round! It also makes the head placement far more delicate than my usual puffs, as even if it’s tilted “just a smidge”, it will be very obvious.
Finally, onto the smaller design details that - for me - make all the difference:
- As with my other beasties, I hand-paint all my butterheer puff eyes with sparkly nail polish. I chose a bronze shade, as it reminded me most of the original dark butterbeer you
- I use DMC embroidery thread for the little button noses and opted for this golden caramel colour, which reminded me of the caramel squirt my syrup you sometimes get with frozen butterbeer!
- I weave a strand of faux fur yarn through the middle of each ear to finish them off. This mIgbo just be my favourite part!
As with all other Spew Crew beasties, each pygmy puff is handmade to my own pattern, so is 100% exclusive to Bumble and Be. As they are made-to-order, it means that no two will be quite the same, but I like to think that is part of their magic - just like an Ollivander wand!
Puffkseins come in two sizes (baby and adult) and four colours - English Rose (blush pink), Pastel Peony (pale pink), Sweetpea (blue-green) and Buttercup (Yellow). Their eyes can be either sparkly pink, purple or blue, eyes, and their noses likewise. The choice is whatever your heart desires.
Every single Pygmy Puff adopted will also come with their own exclusive adoption card and "beastie book badge", which I make from the secondhand pages of Harry Potter books. Before your beastie flies off to you, I will ask if you have a name in mind and - if so - put this onto the adoption card. On that note, this name will often form the basis for the book badge too; for example, past customers have called Pygmy Puffs Poppy and Pomona, so I have chosen passages with these names included!
MY BEASTIES are inspired by the Wizarding World, but have no affiliation with JK Rowling/Warner Brothers.